Squirrel wars

We love birds (well, the cute ones really). We enjoy feeding them and watching them. We encourage them to visit our backyard, but those squirrels! What hogs! We don't wanna hurt the critters, just keep them off of our bird feeders. This blog describes some of our experiences in squirrel proofing our backyard. Not necessarily in chronological order.

Monday, December 29, 2003

Hubby's next attempt with the canisters is to place something between them that they will have to jump over. When they jump they'll lose their footing and slip he reasons.

So hubby proceeds to cut the bottoms off of a coffee can we were storing nuts and bolts in and pokes holes in the middle and strings it between some of the 35mm canisters.

It looks pretty wierd and I'm getting tired of all these contraptions. I speak my mind, but hubby defends his latest idea.

I let it go to see what happens (I think I'm way too patient sometimes). But anyway, it works for a few days, but then those silly (silly nothing, damn smart) squirrels learn to hop over, rebalance, hop over and rebalance all the way to the reward.

Humans down one, squirrels up one point.